Tuesday, May 25, 2010

my first stop

I arrived in Honolulu yesterday afternoon after spending about 16 hours in transit. (It's a much farther trip from Toronto than from the west coast!) The combination of being up late to finish packing and having to get up early to catch my flight resulted in me sleeping through my alarm!.. but luckily my parents were driving me to the airport so my dad woke me up. Thanks isa!

I hadn't even thought about stopping over in Hawaii en route until someone else suggested it - as it's often a layover point for flights to Australia and I have the time to take advantage of it. My aeroplan ticket allowed me two stopovers so I included a couple days here on the way down because 1) it's Hawaii - I love it (who doesn't?) - and 2) it's about halfway between Toronto and Australia so I figured it'd be a good way to break up the trip and hopefully minimize jetlag. All things considered, it seemed like a great idea. But yesterday when I got in, I actually felt guilty about being here... as if it was selfish of me to take this time for myself and use up some hotel points on just me... even knowing how chaotic my last couple months have been - with all the staging and sorting and moving and everything. I'm happy to say that 24 hours later I'm feeling much more relaxed and thankful that I decided to do this, because it's important to take time for yourself. Clearly I needed a vacation! And some sleep - which I got plenty of last night... :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aili!!

    Thanks for sending the link! i'll keep posted and in touch! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures :)

    Enjoy Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!!! Thrilled your adventures have started. I will definitely vicariously enjoying everything thru you! :) I did receive my key in the mail...thanks...Aloha for now! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aili,
    We miss you and will live vicarously through you. So excited that you're off. Aloha.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete